Look at all the tickers!

Lilypie Kids birthday PicLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday PicLilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 5th Birthday PicLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

May 4, 2009

The Earring Saga


About two years ago, I can't remember when but if you do please comment and let us all know, the girls got their ears pierced. After many painful ear cleanings, many infections and one of Riley's starter studs even fell out and closed up and I had to pop a new whole in. We found out that they were most likely allergic to the nickel and maybe with nickel free earrings they wouldn't have had those problems. They finally decided to let the wholes close and maybe try again another time.

That time came about 6-8 weeks ago. Samantha took Katie first and she got her's redone. And then the next week Riley had her's redone!! Yeah!!! They were sooooo excited.

Well, this Friday night Katie comes to me and says that her right ear is sore and hard. AWW MAN! WAS IT EVER!! It was so infected and there was a huge abscess on the back of it. I don't want to get to graphic, BUT as I was cleaning it there was soo much blood and puss that came from there it was amazing. I hurt her when I would move the earing to get the fluid out but she said it felt so much better afterwards. She says "Now that its squooshy again, it doesn't hurt at all"

Unfourtunatly, it took more than that to fix the problem. I had to get back to it Saturday morning and see what the problem was and I found it.... Hair had gotten so wrapped up around the back of the earring that it was actually going inside the earring whole! It was horrible. I had to take tweezers and try to unwind the hair. After about 45 minutes of messing with it I realized that it was going to take more than that.

John had to hold her arms down and hug her while I pried the back of the earring off. I was so hard and she cried REALLY loud. Even after getting the back off, there was still more hair wrapped around the stud that the earring couldn't come out. So, I had to continue to get little bits of the hair off the stud and it was actually coming out of the inside of the earring whole.

I finally got it all off and we were able to take the earring out. That night Sam took all the girls to Claire's to get new earrings and they got a whole bunch.

Kate got nervous so she called me to put the new one's in and long story short, it hurt and she didn't want to. She was sad, I was sad but she thought we would wait for a day or so and see if the whole wasn't so sensitive.

On Sunday she was really bummed because not only could Riley change hers but she was changing them like every 20 minutes and they didn't hurt at all.

By Sunday night Kate worked up the courage to try again with a "Do or Die" attitude. These earrings were going in and she didn't care how much it hurt. Ok, well she really did care and that is why it took here like 30 minutes to let me get started. I got the front of the right earring in and halfway through she says "oh wait, that hurts!" So I said "Ok, I'll stop but let's not pull it out. Just rest for a sec and we'll try to finish." That's what we did! It did hurt a bit because there was a scab that I had to push out of the way but once it was she said it didn't hurt one bit!

Now we had to do the Left ear, which remember had no previous problems so it should be a breeze. Yea, right. It not only had formed a small absess in the back, I couldn't tell which whole was the new one. There is one slightly higher than the other from the repiercing. AND, the back had started to close. This time I had to pop the earring through the back of her ear and practically repierce it with the earring itself.

She was such a trooper! The right ear still has some healing to do so we will continue to flush it with peroxide and put antibiotic ointment on it for a while. This of course goes for ALL ears that were pierced in this house to prevent any other unforseen problems. Her left ear is sore a little but we didn't expect much else.

Hopefully, This time things will go well and they will just heal and be like regular pierced ears that you can change the earring without excrusating pain!

Oh, yeah, I know that she has dangley earrings in and that's not the best choice considering they have to stay in for a while but they had the easist shape to manuver getting them into her ear and with this kind of earring I can get to the earlobe easily to clean it real good......we'll see what happens!!! Wish us luck!

We'll get a picture of Riley up here soon.

4 comments:

  1. Kennedy got her ears pierced back in December and they are now closed up. She was not as tough as Katie about letting me force the earring back in. Two nights in a row the earring in one ear fell out in the night, allowing the ear to start closing up. I think I could have forced it back in, but she was hurting too much. So we're in the Waiting to be Repierced stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! that's so terrible!! being a girl should not have to be so hard!! maybe the girls can keep their hair pulled back for a while to keep it away from the earrings...maybe that might help?? kate is definitely a brave girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy! I hope she has no more pain. Daniel wont let the girls get their ears pierced until they are 12. So we have a while to wait. I didn't realize it could be so difficult. She sure is cute with her dangly earrings and big toothy smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my eaes pierced and I let them close up. One earing fell out and we got it back in. Same earing the next night. It hurt really bad so I let them close up. I'm goimg to wait until I'm 11 I think. 1 1/2 years to go!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete